Monday, November 21, 2011

Marketing Your Book and the Fear of Public Speaking

How to market your book if you suffer from Glossophobia?

Ask yourself if you notice the following symptoms when you are asked to speak in public:
    * Sweaty palms
    * Heart thumping
    * Dry mouth
    * Anxiety
    * Even panic

For some of us, it started in school, when we hid behind a book, hoping the teacher would not call on us. Maybe that's a clue to why some of have a fear of public speaking, Glossophobia. Are we afraid that what we don't know will suddenly be exposed to the world? Regardless the origin, an overwhelming percentage of us dread the thought of speaking in public.

Many find it hard to speak up in a team meeting in the workplace, even knowing everyone around the table, let alone standing up in front of hundreds. Some actors talk about having to face down the related demon - stage fright - the fear of being in front of an audience. Singers have voiced (pun intended) their fear of forgetting the words, a vision of the audience laughing at their discomfort. The fear of public speaking even includes having to make a speech at a wedding, or deliver a eulogy at a funeral.

If you are anything like me, you know the fear that well crafted and rehearsed words will fail us and prove elusive as we look out at the sight of upturned faces, waiting in expectation. We are feeling the fear that they are waiting for us to fall on our face, that we will make like a fool?

I rehearsed a wedding toast until I had it perfected for my audience of one, in the mirror. Then came the time to raise a glass to the bride and make the toast. For the briefest of moments my mind went blank, fearful that...

The toast worked and was a success, but many reading this will recognize and understand the terror of such a moment.

Those of us who are practitioners of the writing craft know how hard it is to search for the right words for our story. Writing is sweaty work, but we have the luxury of thinking about what we want to say in the privacy of our own thoughts, with only the screen of our computer for an audience.

When we are in a group we sometimes freeze at the thought that someone will ask a question? What if we get the answer wrong?

I watched a group of interns making rounds with their teacher. He snapped out questions about a patient's symptoms and they were expected to give the exact, correct answer if asked. As soon as one young doctor-to-be stammered the rest snickered at his discomfort.

Those are examples of just some of the times we face the dread, but there are many reasons for our fear of public speaking, glossophobia. If the story ended there, as nothing more than an outline of the sum of our fears, it would not have a happy ending. There are ways, however, to face the fear and overcome it. It may not be possible to banish the fear altogether, rather to recognize it, channel it, and use it.

Isn't there a cure?

Imagine the financial reward for the scientist who discovered the cure for glossophobia and developed a capsule we could take, a capsule overturning our fear of public speaking, and giving us the facility for talking in front of others.

Until that scientific discovery comes along, we have to rely on other ways to overcome glossophobia. Fortunately, there are things we can do.

When I was hired for a new job once, it was good news and bad news. The good news was that I was hired, and the salary was good too. The bad news...I was expected to do a lot of public speaking. I had sweaty palms just thinking about it. I let my finger do the walking and looked up a public speaking coach. The cost was worth it. I trained in front of a camera and was able to evaluate my look, voice and gestures. The best of all, I realized I didn't look too bad doing it.

My coach also gave me two good tips on scripting. "Type large, and use the top half of the page," he said. "Read it aloud, and highlight where you need to take a breath." Reading a speech out loud, several times, allowed me to spot awkward phrasing and other potential problems.

It sounded so simple. Then he added two important tips.

Tip number one, never be under prepared. Start planning well in advance. Have three or four talking points and stick to them.

Tip number two, never be over prepared. Yes, it is possible to over think and give a presentation sounding like a robot.

He told me that scripting and preparation will not chase the nerves away. The coach said that if I wasn't feeling pre-speech butterflies to be concerned. He said I needed that inner energy, it was necessary to channel it for a great speech.

What about you and the media?

Wow, glossomediaphobia.

While you're being interviewed on a live television show is not the time for your first lesson in dealing with the media.

Let me set the scene. Unless you are a media veteran, imagine being greeted as you walk into the station, are directed to the studio, asked to sign over all rights allowing them to put you on the air, rushed to the green room, and finally walking, or are pushed, out to the set, your time to be on camera. Before your interview begins, a stranger will walk up to you and fix a microphone to you. Cameras will point at you from many angles, there is a neon feel about the lighting, lights blinking, electrical cords will be draped all around, and someone will be looking at a clip board and pointing at you. The host will say something like, "Relax, there's nothing to worry about."

But, if you are like me, you are anything but relaxed. You're worried that you will be asked a question you can't answer, apprehensive that you will stammer and say something dumb, or worse.

There is a way to channel your nervous energy and be prepared for that day.

First, I always make sure the person interviewing me has background information about me and the novel I want to talk about. If the interviewer picks questions from that information, I'm on safe ground. After all, it's about me, someone I have to know quite well over the years.

Next, I know what I want to say. I always have three talking points I want to cover. I know it's hard to put into practice, but remember a reporter or interviewer may control the questions they ask us, but you and I control the answer.

Here's a real life example. As a part of an educational campaign about Clinical Depression, I was being interviewed by a radio host about coping with depression over the year-end holiday season. Part way through the interview came a zinger.

"What's your view on electro-shock therapy?" his question was a surprise.

I admit to a mini brain freeze and said, "While that may be a topic to explore later..."

"... Why don't we talk about the holiday season, and why some people feel depressed, while it is a happy time for many?" I took charge and the interview was back on the talking point I wanted to make.

Finally, give yourself permission

Give yourself permission to pause, to make a mistake, to stumble for a word, and to be nervous. Those are traits that make us sound human and real.

You also need to give yourself permission to have fun. It's a great feeling to walking away from a podium, or walk off a television set, to take off the headphones after a radio interview, knowing you did your best.

If you can face your public speaking demons in front of an audience it will be something you can easily use when you walk through the door of a bookstore, ready to talk to the owner about carrying your novel.

We change behavior after we first become aware of the need to change. Then we can start to find new ways and try them out. That is something you can do about your fear of public speaking.

With due apology, we can borrow a line from AA. "Hello, my name is Chuck, and I am a glossophobic.

Finally, take a deep breath and visit www.toastmasters.org and find a safe place to learn the joy of public speaking.

Write well my friend, and enjoy the talking about it.

As an independent author and publisher, I have learned some valuable lessons through trial and error. If you are considering self-publishing I hope you find the encouragement you need to take control of your publishing destiny. Welcome to the Indie Book Rebellion.

In addition to my own writing I am proud to be a partner at a new service for independent authors, a place where you can expect editorial, cover design, and support in developing your marketing strategy. Visit http://www.canamauthorservices.com

You are invited to visit my website at http://www.writebyme.ca or send an email to chuck@writebyme.ca

By Chuck Waldron

0 comments:

Post a Comment