Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Accidental Marketing and the Indie Author

One of the definitions for an accident is something that happens by chance, without an apparent cause. Accidental is an adjective for something occurring by chance. A Frenchman named Chamfort, who should have known better, once said that chance was a nickname for providence.

Are you prepared to rely on providence to market your book? Are you waiting for a lucky break? Do you wonder why someone else seems to get all the luck?

I find it hard to believe, or trust, in luck. If luck is a place it's located at the intersection of hard work and perseverance. It's sweaty work getting to that intersection. For many, if not most, we won't find the directions to that corner stored in our GPS.

But, in case there is such a thing as luck or chance, we need to be ready for it when the opportunity arises.

You biz cards - case # 1
If you are a new, or even experienced, indie author, do you have your business card within reach? Here's your first test. As you are reading this right now, do you have a business card within reach? Unless you are undressed and ready for bed, you may not have an excuse.

Most supermarkets have bulletin boards. We pass by them without realizing their marketing potential. If you have your biz cards with you all you have to do is stop and post your card. You might even carry a small box of thumb tacks, just in case.

Once, on a trip from Ontario to Florida, I was standing in line at a gas bar and noticed a bulletin board on the hallway leading back to the washroom facilities. Hmmm, I wondered. This is a busy gas bar, located on an interstate highway. How many people wait in line to use the facilities every day? Up went a biz card

Look for the same opportunity often at restaurants and other unique places.

Does posting you biz card like that result in a sale? One thing is certain - not posting your card is guaranteed to not produce a sale.

Handing our card to someone is an obvious thing to do. Think beyond the obvious. Hey, leave them on a subway or bus seat. Biz cards don't sell books while they're sleeping in your swanky card hold.

Do you know where your books are? - case #2
Do you have your books within reach? Even at home I always have copies of my three novels on hand. You never know when someone will say, "I see you're an author. May I see one of your books?"

How about the trunk of your car? If you aren't carrying an inventory of your novels in the car, I ask you why not?

I was in an adjoining town for dinner with friends. There was a charming bookstore, mostly used books, but some new. My biz card was good way to open the conversation. "Oh, by the way," I said. "I happen to have some copies with me, would you be interested in taking some on consignment?"

That wasn't chance, it was an opportunity I could have missed. I not only had a good meal with friends, more of my novels were on display.

I always carry my novels in my computer case. I was sitting with another author one day when someone came up to ask us about our books. The potential reader thought they sounded interesting and was ready to buy. My author friend was chagrined when I was able to reach down and pull a book out my computer case and make a sale.

"I don't have one with me," he said, with a wistful sigh.

I know he won't make miss that opportunity again.

Do I always have my business cards with me? No, but I can say that I do most of the time.

Do I always have a book at the ready? No, but they're never far away, unless I'm on a ride at an amusement park, or quelling revolutions in some distant land, but that's another story.

What's your pitch? - Case # 3
Many of us who have paid the sweaty dues in writing a novel find it hard to condense it in a few words. I don't know why I tend to stammer or struggle when someone asks me what one of my books is about. I have heard this from other writers as well.

The backwards way
The secret is starting small. It's always easier to fluff up than it is to pare down. I heard about something called an elevator pitch. Hmm, I wondered, how would I talk about one of my books in the time it takes an elevator to get from the 10th floor to the lobby?

With that challenge I started working on my first 'elevator pitch.'

Once I had that under my belt it was easy to add a couple of sentences to describe my novels in a handout.

I increased the pitch to create talking points, great for media handouts.

Most of us know the essence of our story, but don't want to admit it can be described in under a minute. After all, why did we use so many words to write it?

As corny as it sounds, don't pass the intersection of hard work and perseverance, only to follow chance down the dead-in alley of chance.

As an independent author and publisher, I have learned some valuable lessons through trial and error. If you are considering self-publishing I hope you find the encouragement you need to take control of your publishing destiny. Welcome to the Indie Book Rebellion.

In addition to my own writing I am proud to be a partner at a new service for independent authors, a place where you can expect editorial, cover design, and support in developing your marketing strategy. Visit http://www.canamauthorservices.com

You are invited to visit my website at http://www.writebyme.ca or send an email to chuck@writebyme.ca

By Chuck Waldron

0 comments:

Post a Comment