Friday, January 15, 2010

Learn How to Write and Speak Japanese


By Kenneth H Jones


When you are learning Japanese what you are really thinking of is speaking. You want to speak for sure but to have a conversation you need to be able to listen well. How many times have you been abroad and made an attempt to speak and been completely confused by a torrent of words coming back to you from a native speaker. So to learn how to write and speak japanese you need to listen.

To actually have a conversation in Japanese you need to listen and listen hard. To do this you need to spend time practising your listening skills using a number of resources.

Passive resources for improving your Japanese listening skills

I use radio and television in the background to support my language learning. So instead of just switching on to the usual English channels I consciously choose to put on a Japanese speaking station. What you gain from this is a good ear for the way the language sounds. You will also pick new vocabulary and colloquialisms that will not be in a text book.

Active resources

Most of my DVD collection has subtitles and audio in a choice of languages. I often use this feature to acclimatise my brain to listening. The subtitles also help to confirm what you are hearing. You can rewind back and check out certain phrases. You are really checking your hearing out with this exercise. Of course you may have to do this alone as other people might not appreciate what you are doing.

There are many Japanese language courses on CD and MP3 that I have playing in my car wherever I go. I do not worry about doing the course material while I am driving but use it as listening practice. You do need a fair few to stop this being boring. I am reasonably fluent in Japanese now but even when I was just starting out I would listen to the beginners and advanced vocabulary CD's for the express purpose of improving my listening skills.

Friends who speak the lingo from Tokyo.

Live conversation is the unbeatable way to improve your learning skills. I have a Japanese friend who I spend time with not only because they are good company but also because they help me learn Japanese. I am also helping them learn English so it is a win win situation. You get coaching on your accent and practice listening in a natural environment that is non threatening.

The main point of these resources is to spend time immersed in the Japanese language. When you do go overseas and need to speak and listen for real you will have had plenty of practice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment